SPAIN’S tax office has warned Spanish businesses of the potential consequences of a no-deal Brexit.
The Hacienda sent letters to thousands of export companies with tips on how to adapt to the worst case scenario should the UK leave the EU on March 29 without a deal.
The warning details how a no-deal would mean trade flows between Spain and Britain will ceased to be considered internal European transactions and will be subject to customs formalities.
“Brexit could have a significant effect on your organization and its logistics flows,” the letter reads, “If there is no exit agreement that includes a transitional period, this will mean that on March 30 the UK will leave the single market and the customs union.”
The number of Spanish companies exporting to the UK grew by 8% between 2012 and 2017 to 11,695 businesses.
The UK was the fifth top destination for Spanish exports in 2017, after France, Germany, Italy and Portugal.
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08