A BRITISH grandmother has been found dead in Andalucia after her family kept her mummified body in the house for a year.
The unidentified 79-year-old’s corpse had rotted away to the skeleton and was hidden by a mattress and some cardboard.
She is thought to have died 24 hours after Mother’s Day, but police were only alerted to the house in Istan by her ex-husband.
While visiting, he was shocked to find his ex-wife’s body, and persuaded her daughter and teenage granddaughter to tell the police.
According to Guardia Civil agents, the house was very dirty and the woman was found with clothes on, surrounded by empty air fresheners.
The mother did tell a neighbour her mother had died, but they did not know the corpse was in the house.
Other neighbours had complained about a bad smell at the property but this was explained by pets the family kept.
An inspection at Malaga’s Institute of Legal Medicine ruled out violence, and an autopsy will now confirm if the woman died of natural causes.
Police think the family may not have announced the woman’s death, in order to evade burial fees or to continue claiming her pension.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25