A BRITISH grandmother has been found dead in Andalucia after her family kept her mummified body in the house for a year.
The unidentified 79-year-old’s corpse had rotted away to the skeleton and was hidden by a mattress and some cardboard.
She is thought to have died 24 hours after Mother’s Day, but police were only alerted to the house in Istan by her ex-husband.
While visiting, he was shocked to find his ex-wife’s body, and persuaded her daughter and teenage granddaughter to tell the police.
According to Guardia Civil agents, the house was very dirty and the woman was found with clothes on, surrounded by empty air fresheners.
The mother did tell a neighbour her mother had died, but they did not know the corpse was in the house.
Other neighbours had complained about a bad smell at the property but this was explained by pets the family kept.
An inspection at Malaga’s Institute of Legal Medicine ruled out violence, and an autopsy will now confirm if the woman died of natural causes.
Police think the family may not have announced the woman’s death, in order to evade burial fees or to continue claiming her pension.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59