THE World-famous Roca brothers have begun developing menus for people that have lost their sense of taste.
Jordi, 40, Joan, 55, and Josep Roca, 53, are the chefs behind the three Michelin-starred El Celler de Can Roca, which has twice been crowned ‘best restaurant in the world’.
But now the three have turned their attention to the development of personalised menus with psychologists, nutritionists and neurologists.
The Rocas have centred their project around chocolate, in order to bring back memories for those who suffer with what is commonly referred to as ‘dysgeusia’ – a distortion of taste.
Cocoa was chosen because ‘it is a global and evocative element that can be associated with personal experiences’.
That is according to Dr Jesus Porta-Etessam, head of Neurology at Madrid’s San Carlos Clinical Hospital, who has been working with the Roca brothers.
Jordi, the youngest of the trio, began experimenting with memory and taste after his friend and fellow chef, Oriol Blanes, said that he could no longer taste his food.
Dr Porta added that the main hypothesis of this pioneering work is to see whether ‘it is possible to recover the sensation of taste in people through the stimulation of senses and associated memories’.
Around one in five people suffer a lack of taste, which can often be the result of physical disorders like cancer or mental illnesses such as depression.
The Rocas’ work is being made into a mini documentary by BBVA called El Sentido Del Cacao.
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05