MARBELLA town hall has announced it is building three ‘vertical gardens’, costing a total of €150,000.
The new parks in the sky will be located at Puente Romano, Avenida del Mar and Avenida Canovas del Castillo.
The projects, which are set to be finished in about six weeks, focus on pedestrian walkways and areas surrounding busy roads.
All the hanging gardens will have built-in irrigation systems with overflow channels underneath, and will be remote-controlled.
But these projects will cost a mere drop in the ocean compared to former London Mayor Boris Johnson’s failed River Thames project.
That pie in the sky idea used €50 million of British taxpayers’ money even though the project was abandoned and nothing was ever built.
The bridge across the N-340 road at Puente Romano will see a 109 square-metre face-lift, as it is transformed into a network of flowers and shrubbery.
Meanwhile, the overpass near Juan Ramon Jimenez School on Avenida Canovas del Castillo will get a green upgrade of 27 square metres.
At Avenida del Mar the underground car park will see floral installations at its exits on Avenida Miguel Cano and Calle el Fuerte.
The vertical gardens project aims to ‘make Marbella more green,’ according to the Councilor for Parks and Gardens, Javier Garcia.
A statement from the mayor’s office said: “The proposed projects offer numerous benefits at an economic, ecological and social level.
“They will benefit air purification, the reduction of both the ambient temperature and indoor and outdoor environmental noise, and increase the value of the environment.”
- Tourism companies in Spain SLAM Government plans to - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49