TRAFFICKED Moroccan women have accused the authorities of ignoring widespread exploitation and abuse in the strawberry fields of southern Spain.
‘Samira Ahmad’ has been in hiding and living on handouts with the nine other Moroccan women after they faced human trafficking and sexual assault.
Women make up a large percentage of the seasonal workforce in Andalucia and harvest 400,000 tonnes of strawberries, destined for the UK, France and Germany.
Samira, who’s name has been changed, said: “Before I left my home I was like a hero to everyone. Nobody in my village had ever had the chance to go and work in a rich country like Spain.
“But it has turned out to be the worst decision of my life.”
Both the Moroccan and Spanish governments have downplayed widespread reports of sexual and physical abuse of seasonal workers, despite evidence women are targeted deliberately.
“Morocco women working as temporary workers in the field have described to us dehumanising and harsh working conditions they must endure,
“Working in permanently crouched positions with a single break of 30 minutes a day in temperatures of 40 degrees under the plastic of the greenhouses,” said Alicia Navascues of the women’s rights group Mujeres.
The women claimed to have been racially abused, denied food and forced to live in squalid shipping containers with hundreds of other workers.
Alicia said: “In Morocco they are deliberately looking for those who are cheap and vulnerable to do this work, namely rural women with young children who only understand Arabic, cannot understand their contracts written in Spanish or claim their rights.
“It is a rigged system.”
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05