SPAIN’S Prime Minister has offered help and solidarity to France after a serious fire devastated the iconic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.
The 12th-century cathedral was left disfigured by the blaze, which consumed part of the roof and destroyed the ancient spire.
Firefighters managed to limit the spread of the inferno and prosecutors are now investigating if renovation work was the cause of the fire.
“The fire of Notre Dame is a catastrophe for France, for Spain and Europe. The flames devastate 850 years of history, of architecture, of painting, of sculpture.
“It’ll be hard to forget, France can count on us to regain the grandeur of its heritage,” said Pedro Sanchez.
French President Emmanuel Macron has promised to rebuild the medieval landmark and the country’s richest man, Bernard Arnault has pledged €200 million towards restorations.
Parisians gathered around the cathedral to observe the flames with thousands gathering in silence as the fire took hold.
This comes as the former candidate for mayor of Barcelona, Manuel Valls spoke of his shock.
Valls said: “What has been burned is a part of each one of us, Notre Dame is more than stones, it’s heart, it’s soul, it’s our history.”
- Former US Marine arrested after North Korean embassy attacked in Spain - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 14:39
- Political leaders set for TV debate ahead of Spain’s election - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:57
- WATCH: Spanish Legion on the march as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil near Ronda - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:59
- IN PICS: Clouds clear as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil de las Bodegas - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:41
- PICTURED: Female squaddie accused of ‘glassing’ army pal in the throat at Magaluf club - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 13:13
- Rival footie fans launch ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity race to Spain in aid of teenage cancer battle - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:25
- Expat sprayed with ‘devil’s breath’ date rape drug on Spanish island and forced to empty bank account - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 11:11
- Easter travel chaos in Spain avoided after pilot strike called off - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Spain pledges support for Paris in wake of Notre Dame inferno - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 11:57
- FLIGHT CHAOS: Travel strikes across Spain mean HUNDREDS of flights cancelled over Easter - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06