SPAIN’S Prime Minister has offered help and solidarity to France after a serious fire devastated the iconic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.
The 12th-century cathedral was left disfigured by the blaze, which consumed part of the roof and destroyed the ancient spire.
Firefighters managed to limit the spread of the inferno and prosecutors are now investigating if renovation work was the cause of the fire.
“The fire of Notre Dame is a catastrophe for France, for Spain and Europe. The flames devastate 850 years of history, of architecture, of painting, of sculpture.
“It’ll be hard to forget, France can count on us to regain the grandeur of its heritage,” said Pedro Sanchez.
French President Emmanuel Macron has promised to rebuild the medieval landmark and the country’s richest man, Bernard Arnault has pledged €200 million towards restorations.
Parisians gathered around the cathedral to observe the flames with thousands gathering in silence as the fire took hold.
This comes as the former candidate for mayor of Barcelona, Manuel Valls spoke of his shock.
Valls said: “What has been burned is a part of each one of us, Notre Dame is more than stones, it’s heart, it’s soul, it’s our history.”
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57