A FORMER US marine has been arrested in connection with an attack on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid.
Christopher Ahn was arrested in Los Angeles and charged by US authorities, after a mysterious dissident group broke into the embassy and assaulted staff.
Police in Spain identified Ahn as a suspect in the raid and an international arrest warrant was issued for his arrest.
“We are dismayed that the US Department of Justice has decided to execute warrants against U.S. persons that derive from criminal complaints filed by the North Korean regime.
“We have received no assurances from the U.S. government about the safety and security of the U.S. nationals it is now targeting,” said Lee Wolosky, a lawyer for Mr Ahn.
A Spanish judge has said the investigation uncovered evidence that ‘a criminal organisation’ tied and gagged embassy staff before escaping with computers, hard drives and documents.
This comes after the secretive opposition group, ‘Free Joseon’ took responsibility for the break-in but claimed it was not an ‘attack.’
- AND THEY’RE OFF: Expats across Spain head to the polls - 26 May, 2019 @ 15:34
- OPINION: The shock verdict that sees Westley Capper and Craig Porter ‘walk free’ is an insult to Agnese Klavina’s family - 25 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- ISIS video threatens tourists in Spain after death of British ‘punk rock jihadi’ - 24 May, 2019 @ 14:45
- ‘I HAVE DONE MY BEST’: Tearful Theresa May resigns as UK Prime Minister - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:57
- British woman dies on UK-bound flight at Mallorca airport moments before take-off - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:29
- Judge allows convicted British criminal to go on Spain holiday after taser and cocaine bust - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:56
- Mystery buzzing leads couple in southern Spain to 80,000 bees in their bedroom wall - 21 May, 2019 @ 10:58
- British toddler badly hurt in cliff fall after ‘slipping from mother’s arms’ at Mallorca beach - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:38
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11