A RED alert warning has been issued as torrential rains create flash floods on Spain’s Costa Blanca.
Coastal towns in the Marina Alta comarca of Alicante are the worst hit regions, with cars stalled and homes flooded in Javea, Moraira and Denia.
The red alert is expected to last until 6am Monday morning, meanwhile town halls are urging residents to take ‘extreme precaution’ if venturing outdoors.
Roads have been cut off and landslides have been reported in the interior of the Comarca.
In Dénia, the entire Saladar neighborhood has been completely flooded with the water now covering the pavements.
Local Police have reported the blockage of the Camí del Llavador, the Camí de Gandia and the Pinaret d’Elies area due to flooding.
Miguel Hernández Avenue, Joan Fuster Avenue, the Marineta Cassiana and the Esplanade de Cervantes have also been closed to traffic.
At 8.18 pm, a Denia town hall spokesman said: “Given the intensity of rainfall that is registering in Dénia, LaXara and Jesús Pobre (exceeding 100 l /m2 in 12 hours ) it is recommended that citizens avoid traveling by car.”
The alarm has also been raised in Javea’s Arenal.
As can be seen in above videos, circulation has become very complicated on the avenue de la Llibertat, which around 19.45 was closed to traffic.
A spokesperson for Javea town hall has asked neighbors to ‘exercise extreme caution and do not take the car if it is not essential’.
Javea Red Cross have set up an emergency shelter behind the town hall at Portal Del Clot.
- OPINION: Authorities in Alicante must make property developers follow safety rules without harming the promising market - 26 May, 2019 @ 14:15
- OPINION: Accusing a Benidorm bar of a ‘hate crime’ for renting out a midget is political correctness gone mad - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- A PUT-DOWN A DAY: New Spanish book praises ‘therapeutic’ quality of insulting - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- Pablo Escobar’s estranged British-educated son signs ‘extraordinary’ book deal in Mallorca - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:30
- GHOSTA BLANCA: Illegal art exhibition takes over one of Spain’s most haunted buildings - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:49
- Expat pensioners assaulted as luxury apartment block is ‘mobbed’ by squatters on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 May, 2019 @ 10:44
- Tourist dies after being hit by bus in Benidorm - 22 May, 2019 @ 01:18
- WATCH: Roads become rivers as hailstorm hits the Costa Blanca - 21 May, 2019 @ 22:41
- ANOTHER British holidaymaker scammed as Spanish villa rental companies use SAME website under different names - 20 May, 2019 @ 15:14
- Benidorm pub SLAMMED for renting out midget - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:29