A PENSIONER has been gored to death during a bull running festival in Andalucia.
Local Juan Jose Varo, 74, was killed after meeting the horns of an 82-stone bull named Campanito during the Toro Embolada event in Vejer de la Frontera, Cadiz.
The man was gored several times in the lung and upper body after the bull knocked him down as he tried to escape an enclosure on Easter Sunday.
He was rushed to hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung but died of his injuries.
The Toro Embolada event has been run every year in the Cadiz town since 1976.
It sees two bulls run through the cobbled and narrow streets and attracts hordes of tourists each year.
While the bulls have balls attached to the tip of their horns to protect spectators, these are not full proof, especially given the size and weight of the animals.
Mayor José Ortiz Galván called the death an ‘unfortunate accident’, saying the pensioner usually watches the event from the same spot but behind a protective barrier.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13