A PENSIONER has been gored to death during a bull running festival in Andalucia.
Local Juan Jose Varo, 74, was killed after meeting the horns of an 82-stone bull named Campanito during the Toro Embolada event in Vejer de la Frontera, Cadiz.
The man was gored several times in the lung and upper body after the bull knocked him down as he tried to escape an enclosure on Easter Sunday.
He was rushed to hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung but died of his injuries.
The Toro Embolada event has been run every year in the Cadiz town since 1976.
It sees two bulls run through the cobbled and narrow streets and attracts hordes of tourists each year.
While the bulls have balls attached to the tip of their horns to protect spectators, these are not full proof, especially given the size and weight of the animals.
Mayor José Ortiz Galván called the death an ‘unfortunate accident’, saying the pensioner usually watches the event from the same spot but behind a protective barrier.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35