POPULAR expat restaurant The Roman Oasis is to permanently close, its owner has announced.
Founder, British expat, Paul Hickling, 74, announced the end of his 36-year reign, saying that now is a ‘fitting’ moment to close.
The father-of-three and restaurateur told the Olive Press: “I have no plan to sell the restaurant unless we sold it as a whole with house.
“I Couldn’t have anyone else running my Roman Oasis could I?”
Located in Manilva, the renowned Costa del Sol eatery, known to be the favourite of TV chef Keith Floyd, was much more than just a restaurant.
Over its four decades, The Roman Oasis attracted thousands of guests, with its quirky decor, fantastic food, and charming host Paul.
So much so, Paul even turned his gastronomic escapades into a book, My Roman Oasis, which chronicles the roller-coaster journey of his life at the helm.
After living the high life of pretty girls and fast cars in Puerto Banus, Paul introduced The Roman Oasis to the world in 1981, as celebrities flocked to the coast’s beaches.
Due to be 74 next week, Paul said he made his decision to close ‘after much soul searching’, simultaneously announcing his retirement.
He added: “It’s been on my mind for the last few years and I’ve always justified re-opening but time passes rapidly and it’s time to smell the roses.
“It is very fitting to close now and not do a ‘last season’ with all which it entails and it’s nice to finish when the business was still packing them in.
“I know this may disappoint some of you and I would like to thank the thousands and thousands of people who walked through the gates.
“I hope I gave you a good time. You certainly gave me one!”
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35