SPANISH parents have slammed school dinners amid a child obesity crisis, a study has revealed.
Some 94% of mums and dads said school canteens ‘need improvement’, while nine out of 10 called for more fruit at lunchtimes.
A poll of 2,000 parents was conducted by consumer advice group to the Government, Kantar, in a study called ‘Assessment of parents on school feeding in Spain’.
It comes after the World Health Organisation (WHO) revealed that Spanish girls aged six to nine were the second most obese in Europe, while obesity among boys of the same age was the fourth most prevalent.
“There are worrisome risk factors of overweight and childhood obesity in Spain, much higher than in the countries around us,” said Sergio Caceres, the Marketing Director of Platano de Canarias, which commissioned the research.
The findings will make tough reading for schools, as just 24% of parents said that school dinners came with information about the ingredients used.
Meanwhile, 56% of those polled called for seasonal produce to be used, 46% wanted a reduction in fatty foods and 40% said the sugar content of meals was too high.
Leading nutritionist Carlos Rios added: “The school cafeteria should prepare healthy food in an appetizing and attractive way.
“This is essential to combat the epidemic of ultra-processed foods in Spain.”
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35