SPANISH parents have slammed school dinners amid a child obesity crisis, a study has revealed.
Some 94% of mums and dads said school canteens ‘need improvement’, while nine out of 10 called for more fruit at lunchtimes.
A poll of 2,000 parents was conducted by consumer advice group to the Government, Kantar, in a study called ‘Assessment of parents on school feeding in Spain’.
It comes after the World Health Organisation (WHO) revealed that Spanish girls aged six to nine were the second most obese in Europe, while obesity among boys of the same age was the fourth most prevalent.
“There are worrisome risk factors of overweight and childhood obesity in Spain, much higher than in the countries around us,” said Sergio Caceres, the Marketing Director of Platano de Canarias, which commissioned the research.
The findings will make tough reading for schools, as just 24% of parents said that school dinners came with information about the ingredients used.
Meanwhile, 56% of those polled called for seasonal produce to be used, 46% wanted a reduction in fatty foods and 40% said the sugar content of meals was too high.
Leading nutritionist Carlos Rios added: “The school cafeteria should prepare healthy food in an appetizing and attractive way.
“This is essential to combat the epidemic of ultra-processed foods in Spain.”
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33