THE former boss of Spain’s most visited monument has been accused of embezzling millions of euros from the sale of its audio guides.
Maria del Mar Villafranca is set to be prosecuted after a four year investigation into irregularities in the running of the Alhambra Palace came to a head this week.
Villafranca, who was director of the monument from 2006 to 2015, will stand trial alongside former secretary of the site Victoria Chamorro and the head of the company contracted to provide the audio guides.
It comes after a judge ruled yesterday that the trio can be prosecuted after finding evidence of embezzlement, misappropriation of public funds and money laundering.
Alhambra’s former head of accounting and a further employee from GTP Museum and Stendhal Museum Solutions will also face prosecution.
The Unit of Economic and Fiscal Crime of the Policia Nacional (UDEF) prepared a report in which it estimated around €7 million was siphoned off by the plot.
Another audit report sanctioned by the Junta de Andalucia placed the possible embezzlement in the realm of €12 million.
During her last testimony before the examining magistrate last summer, Villafranca maintained her innocence, saying she felt victimized by the so-called Audioguide case.
Villafranca was also being investigated for irregular hirings but the case never made it to court due to a technicality.
The accused could appear before a judge by next week.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27