A SPANISH nun could face three years in prison after changing the election ballot of two pensioners from PSOE to PP.
The alleged crime took place in an old people’s home, as the sister accompanied the pair of elderly residents to the polling station for the April 28 general election.
One of the pensioners, at the Mercy of Bilbao residence, had wanted to vote for the ruling Socialist PSOE party and the other, the centrist Basque party, the PNV.
Regional affiliate of the PSOE, the PSE-EE said the Electoral Board had registered the potential crime, which could land the nun with a jail term of between six and 36 months.
It is not known if the nun changed the slips herself or if it was done via a third party, before she put them in the envelopes for the election staff.
She was apparently caught red-handed inserting PP ballots into the envelopes, and documents from the time of the incident have now been handed over to the Office of the Prosecutor.
The PSE-EE representative in the area, Ekain Rico, requested an investigation, but said: “We suspect that this has happened other times.”
It comes as the PP failed to gain a seat in the Basque Country for the first time since Spain’s return to democracy.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33