Foreign Ministry officials attended a meeting organised by the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to the Countries and Colonial Peoples.
Also known as the UN’s Committee of 24, the meeting, in Saint Georges, in the Caribbean saw Spain double down on its commitment to Gibraltar’s ‘decolonisation’.
Madrid also called on the UK to fulfill the UN mandate on Gibraltar in the spirit of the Brussels Declaration of November 27, 1984.
It comes despite 99% of Gibraltarians rejecting shared sovereignty with Spain in the 2002 referendum.
Spain also highlighted the fact that it sees the Rock as being within its territory, unlike other so-called ‘colonies’.
“This circumstance, recognised by the United Nations since 1965, makes the case of Gibraltar clearly different from that of other territories subject to decolonisation,” A Spanish Foreign Affairs spokesperson said.
Madrid has also frequently targeted Gibraltar in controversial wargames off the Rock, which have been responded to by the UK’s Royal Navy.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33