Foreign Ministry officials attended a meeting organised by the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to the Countries and Colonial Peoples.
Also known as the UN’s Committee of 24, the meeting, in Saint Georges, in the Caribbean saw Spain double down on its commitment to Gibraltar’s ‘decolonisation’.
Madrid also called on the UK to fulfill the UN mandate on Gibraltar in the spirit of the Brussels Declaration of November 27, 1984.
It comes despite 99% of Gibraltarians rejecting shared sovereignty with Spain in the 2002 referendum.
Spain also highlighted the fact that it sees the Rock as being within its territory, unlike other so-called ‘colonies’.
“This circumstance, recognised by the United Nations since 1965, makes the case of Gibraltar clearly different from that of other territories subject to decolonisation,” A Spanish Foreign Affairs spokesperson said.
Madrid has also frequently targeted Gibraltar in controversial wargames off the Rock, which have been responded to by the UK’s Royal Navy.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35