A BRITISH family who lost their investment in a retirement home when a Costa Blanca construction company folded have 15 years later been paid damages.
Richard and Pauline Pope were awarded €72,000 for money they lost paying Monte Puchol SL to build a house near Lliber back in 2004.
The company’s bankruptcy affected 17 British couples who lost all their investments and were left with houses yet unbuilt.
Regulations require construction companies to take out insurance in the event homes are not delivered within terms established in their contracts.
But now Jose Antonio Martin Rodriguez, from Legal Action Asociados, won close to €300,000 from Bankia and Bankinter in the Provincial Courts of Alicante and Cartagena.
The legal firm estimate a full payout to victims will cost the banks ‘more than €3 million’, yet currently only 6 of 30 claims are favourable, and only two so far have been successful.
Martin Rodriguez said damages paid to the Popes included ‘interest accumulated over the last 15 years’.
Many of the Brits involved sold houses in the UK to pay for their future retirement homes, with at least one family forced to live in a camp site.
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04