INSULTS have been branded ‘therapeutic’ in a new book by Catalonian author Sergio Parra.
In Mecaguen!, published by Vox, Parra says that expletives are ‘necessary’ for reducing tension and regulating bodily hormones.
Drawing upon neurological research, Parra even maintains that individuals who lose language through brain trauma can still ‘swear’ as curse words are stored in a completely separate part of the brain.
“I do not apologise for foul language. It is a resource that we cannot do without, but shouldn’t abuse,” Parra told a Spanish news agency.
“Like a knife, it can be used to kill, or to spread butter.”
Parra defends slurs and put-downs as ‘cultural richness’, while stressing that he does not mean crude, modern swear words that shock rather than amuse.
His book favours Spanish words from the Siglo de Oro, which would be contemporaries of old English slurs like ‘driggle-draggle’, ‘fustylugs’ and ‘saddle-goose’.
His book looks at blasphemy and taboo words, and compares 18th century puritanism with the modern-day ‘witch-hunting’ of politically incorrect words on social media.
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51
- Javea’s Cova Tallada to become first beach in Valencian Community with restricted visitor access due to tourism pressure - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:43
- WATCH: Woman leaps into sea as ‘Kontiki II’ ferry boat nearly smashes into 154-metre Balearia behemoth between Ibiza and Formentera - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:11
- Man starved dog to avoid ‘picking up its poo’ arrested on the Costa Blanca - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 18:45
- Spanish bar bills customer €10 for ‘taking the piss’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 15:08