THE new €100 and €200 notes have landed in Spain and the 19 other countries which have adopted the currency.
This freshly minted legal tender is the latest in the ‘Europa’ series after the 5, 10, 20 and 50 notes.
Issued by the European Central Bank (ECB) the updated currency is vegan friendly, reduced in height to better fit wallets, and is harder to forge.
The €200 is now the largest denomination, after the ECB decided to stop printing €500 notes.
Security is at the forefront of the new notes, by German designer Reinhold Gerstetter.
A so-called ‘satellite’ hologram with a silver band running through it, and a watermark of the goddess Europa both feature on the new notes.
When turning the item in light, the hologram displays an oscillating euro symbol for extra security.
A special print within the main illustration, and a small emerald insignia that shines when hit by light complete the new security measures.
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20