NO ONE understands more than the Spanish that potatoes, particularly patatas bravas, were made for sharing.
But Dutch resident Herman Sinnema, in Pedreguer, has this year donated 3,000kg of ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help 70 families in Javea struggling to pay their bills, according to La Marina Plaza.
The potatoes, enough for more than 15,000 portions of chips, are donated through the charity arm of the Nuestra Señora del Loreta church in Javea.
The carbohydrate-rich tubers are sold in the Sunday market outside the church in Javea port, with the proceeds going towards the school fees, food, transport, health and electricity bills of the town’s poorest families.
Sinnema, 73, also uses his 4,000m² plot of land to teach volunteers about organic farming.
Alongside potatoes, he also grows blood oranges, tangerines, strawberries, cabbages, broad beans, kidney beans, aubergines, onions and chili peppers.
Around 90% of all his harvest is given away to support charitable causes through the charity arm of the local church.
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04