SPAIN has published a list of tax dodgers who each still owe over €1 million, despite being warned.
A total of 4,028 individuals and companies collectively owe the Tax Agency an eye-watering €14.1 billion – although it’s 7.8% less than in 2018.
Rodrigo Rato, the imprisoned former International Monetary Fund boss, is the most infamous of these slippery characters.
The former Bankia president and Spanish Economy Minister from Madrid owes the public coffers €1,019,740.
Joining him is Despicable Me 2 star and TV presenter Patricia Conde from Valladolid, who owes €1.82 million and is clearly living up to the movie’s name.
Two-times 250cc motorcycling world champion Alfonso ‘Sito’ Pons still owes €1.95 million after a fraud probe alleged he falsely claimed to be living in Monaco.
Meanwhile the top offender is Isolux Corsan, an international construction firm, which owes Spain €315.9 million in unpaid taxes.
Andalucian multinational energy firm, Abengoa, also owes a total of €3.14 million through its subsidiaries, following financial difficulties.
But despite the huge debts still owed to the Government, some 2,000 taxpayers highlighted in the list’s inception in 2015, are not included in this edition.
However, the list could be expanded in the future, as Acting Finance Minister, Maria Jesus Montero, hinted that she wished to lower the threshold to name and shame those owing the Treasury €600,000 or more.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08