THESE are the dishes that won 26-year-old fishmonger Aleix Puig Masterchef 2019.
The seventh edition of the hit show was held in Denia and featured local three-Michelin starred chef Quique Dacosta.
The three plates, named ‘Where I’m From’, ‘Where I Am’ and ‘Where I’m Going’, chart the three phases of Aleix’s now nationwide famous life.
The first dish consisted of chopped, home-smoked sardines on a tomato bizcocho, with frozen basil and a black garlic sauce.
The starter touched on culinary themes of Aleix’s youth, in Barcelona.
The main dish was based upon Aleix’s working life as a fishmonger with his mother.
It featured exquisitely prepared cockles, clams, barnacles and mussels, alongside ponzu-marinated scallops and lobster in a turbot consomme, with kimchi and freshly-prepared mayonnaise.
The dessert dish blew the judges away with a dish rooted in Aleix’s upbringing, but encapsulating his wildest dreams.
The dish was built from crema catalana with two ‘moon stones’ – made from orange liqueur, cocoa butter and breadcumbs and frozen in liquid nitrogen – with violet-flavoured ice cream and broken bits of frozen mulberry and raspberry.
The three sumptuous dishes won Aleix the tournament, and a tidy 100,000, in the UNESCO designated Creative City of Gastronomy.
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06