Thousands of date palms have been burnt in UNESCO World Heritage orchards in Elche on the Costa Blanca.
Thousands of palms were scorched in four separate orchards during the early hours of Saturday morning, according to Alicante’s Provincial Consortium of Firefighters.
The first fire was reported around 0.50am, in a palm orchard in La Hoya.
Later, around 2.25am, there was a second fire in palm orchard near Algorós.
Minutes later, another garden had started to burn, this time next to the CV-856 at the height of km 1.
Finally, at 6 o’clock in the morning, a fourth fire was reported next to the CV-851 at the height of km 2.
A total of 25 firefighters from the Provincial Consortium arrived from Elche, Crevillent, San Vicente and Almorabí to put out the blaze, alongside a six-strong unit of forest firefighters.
The Palmeral of Elche numbers close to 200,000 date palm trees, covering 3.5 sq km.
It is the only palm grove in Europe, and palmeros still honour agricultural traditions passed down from the Moorish civilisation.
Initial signs reportedly indicate the fires were intentional.
The Local Police of Elche, together with the Fire Department and the National Police have announced that an investigation has been opened to clarify the causes.
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45