2 Feb, 2022 @ 15:45
1 min read

Elderly couple killed by odourless toxic gas fumes in Spain’s Murcia region

British man dead with wife seriously ill after gas cylinder leak at Mallorca finca in Spain
Cordon Press Image

An elderly couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a butano gas cylinder in Rincon de Seca, Murcia.

The odourless and colourless gas eliminates oxygen quickly in human bodies, leading to death.

A neighbour alerted emergency services after not seeing the couple for a few days.

Police broke into their home and discovered the bodies of a man, 74, and a woman, 85.

Early conclusions were that they were not victims of an assault with no injuries sustained on their bodies.

Subsequent autopsies confirmed that they died from gas poisoning.

The state of the single-storey property was poor with filled-up bags and old belongings strewn everywhere.

The lack of adequate ventilation may have contributed to their accidental deaths.

The advice for any gas device that is used indoors is that it must be placed in a well-ventilated area.

READ MORE:

Alex Trelinski

Alex worked for 30 years for the BBC as a presenter, producer and manager. He covered a variety of areas specialising in sport, news and politics. After moving to the Costa Blanca over a decade ago, he edited a newspaper for 5 years and worked on local radio.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

dog poo photo by Darren Riley/flickr flickr
Previous Story

Errant owner who failed to pick up after her dog on Spain’s Costa del Sol tracked down to home 650km away

Deer Goes Swimming In The Sea Before Bounding Around Busy Costa Blanca Road In Spain
Next Story

Deer goes swimming in the sea before bounding around busy Costa Blanca road in Spain

Latest from Lead

Go toTop

More From The Olive Press