THE youth crime wave which saw two underage girls gang raped last month has led to urgent calls for juvenile law changes.
Following the attacks that horrified Spain (see Olive Press issue 63) PP opposition leader Mariano Rajoy has demanded that minors should be charged with serious crimes, including rape. He has vowed to pursue the changes to prosecute children under 14 in September.
Meanwhile Spain´s attorney-general, Candido Conde-Pumpido, called for “maximum force against these worrying incidents” to halt the recent spate of crimes.
But, he added: “We must not just focus on solving these attacks judicially, but on educating youngsters.”
“Opposition leader Mariano Rajoy has demanded that minors should be charged with serious crimes, including rape.”
However, ombudsman Jose Chamizo refused to back any law changes.
Despite urging in-depth investigations, he claimed that prosecuting minors would not solve the causes of such crimes.
The news comes as Spain was rocked by further crimes, including a 14-year-old arrested for sexual assault on a minor and five other youths being sent to a detention centre for a brutal murder in Barcelona.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00