THOUSANDS face being left high and dry as insurance companies try to squirm out of compensation payments over the recent floods.
Despite enduring Andalucia’s wettest winter since records began, scores of customers have told the Olive Press that they are being refused damages.
One flood victim – who is now left facing up to a four-foot square hole in his roof – told how his insurance company will not pay out because his home is ‘too old’.
Stephen Myhill, from Estepona, claims that BanSabadell Seguros Generales, is using the defence that, if a building is more than ten years old, it is not covered.
The 64-year-old explained: “They told me that because all buildings more than a decade old were so badly built, they are not entitled to compensation.
“What was the point in insuring?”
Many other people have also fallen foul of the clause that pay outs are only made if there is evidence that a benchmark level of rainfall fell.
Philip Jordan, from Fuentes de Andalucia, near Sevilla, needs to prove that 40 litres per metre squared fell, during just one hour, before his claim is accepted.
The retired builder is at a loss as to how this specific amount can be proven.
Jordan, 65, explained: “If I had known then I would never have signed up for this in the first place.”
And retired Patrick and Angie Copp, from Jimena, have been told they will not receive a centimo of compensation because of their “poorly maintained” roof.
“It really is humiliating as we have always taken so much pride in our home,” says Angie, 66.
VISIT OUR IN-DEPTH FEATURE ON THE INSURANCE SCAM AT http://www.theolivepress.es/2010/03/24/all-in-the-same-boat/
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00