A BRITISH MP who infamously blocked public footpaths around her home in Granada is facing 21 charges of fraud.
Margaret Moran, 56 – who sued the Olive Press after we revealed she used official House of Common’s notepaper to ward neighbours off her land, near Orgiva – could go to prison over a string of lies.
The former Labour MP – who has had a home in Andalucia since 1984 – has been ordered to appear before City of Westminster Magistrates Court on September 19.
Moran will be charged with 15 counts of false accounting and six of forging invoices to support her claims.
“These charges relate to fraudulent claims with a total value of more than 60,000 pounds (70,000 euros),” confirmed director of public prosecutions, Keir Starmer.
The maximum sentence for false accounting is seven years in prison, while forgery carries a maximum 10 year sentence.
The former Luton South MP had the audacity to wrongly sue the Olive Press and then put the 800 euro bill through as official expenses.
She hired leading libel firm Carter and Ruck to claim that she had never used official House of Commons notepaper to order neighbours off her land.
It came after the Olive Press reported that the so-called socialist MP had blocked off ancient drovers tracks preventing neighbours getting to their homes. She later lost the right to close off the footpaths through her estate.
One neighbour Nick Nicholson, 56, who works in the oil industry, was overjoyed with the news.
He said: “She must be gutted. We did not come here for this petty, completely unsocialist behaviour. It is bloody minded and completely unsociable.”
Another neighbour Nuri added: “She is meant to be a socialist MP, but behaves like an English imperialist from the days of the Raj.”
In the UK police enquiry, she was found to have ‘flipped’ her second homes over four years, spending thousands of pounds on decorating each one in turn.
She even claimed a staggering £22,500 (25,500 euros) for dry rot treatment at her property in Southampton, just a fraction less than the maximum allowance available for the whole year.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46