- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Catalonia hosts its last bullfight
• LAST ACT: Catalonia witnessed its final bullfight on Sunday evening
BULLFIGHTING fans have gathered in Catalonia to watch the final fight before a controversial regional ban comes into effect.
Three of Spain’s top matadors, including Jose Tomas, performed in the sold-out show at Barcelona’s Monumental ring on Sunday.
The evening ended with the matadors being carried shoulder high into the surrounding streets, as scuffles broke out between pro- and anti- bullfighting groups.
The legislation – passed by Catalonia’s parliament in July 2010 following a petition by animal rights campaigners – will not be enforced until January.
But with no other fights scheduled for the season, fans took the opportunity to grab sand from the ring as a souvenir of what was an historic night for the region.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others