EXCLUSIVE by Eloise Horsfield
A GROUP of British golfers had their trip to Andalucia blighted when nearly 10,000 euros was debited from two credit cards without their permission.
UK detectives are now looking into the alleged fraud, after half the men believe they had their drinks spiked on a night out in Puerto Banus.
The group, all in their 30s, spent the day playing golf and had a meal in the port in the evening, with three going home afterwards exhausted from the day.
The other three headed for drinks at a club known as Envy, formally the Mambo Club.
According to Anne Phillips, 63, the owner of the villa where they stayed, the next day one of the golfers received a call from his bank in the UK, asking if he was aware that his two bank cards had been debited by £4,000 each.
The statement gave the name ‘Banus Golden Nights’, but the men were unable to contact the business.
“They couldn’t remember anything of the evening and think they may have had their drinks spiked,” said Anne, who has lived in Spain for 17 years.
One of the men also had his Blackberry stolen on the same night.
The men told Anne that when they returned to confront staff at the club, a barmaid they had seen the previous night ‘suspiciously disappeared’ so she would not have to talk to them.
“The whole thing put a real dampener on their trip,” added Anne, who helped them give a police report.
The case is now being investigated by British police, she said.
The Olive Press was unable to contact either the club or Banus Golden Nights.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10