- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Olive oil costs soar due to drought in Spain
• The olive harvest in Spain has suffered due to a lack of rain
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SHOPPERS are being hit with soaring olive oil costs after drought in Spain badly affected the olive harvest.
Wholesale prices have increased by 30% since June, with experts warning the costs will have to be passed on to consumers.
Spain produces an average crop of 1.2 million tonnes annually, but this year’s harvest is expected to be 40% down on last year, dropping from 1.6 million tonnes to less than a million.
“After 18 months at rock bottom, olive oil wholesale prices are soaring and suppliers are warning of inevitable price hikes in-store,” said Filippo Berio UK managing director Walter Zanre.
“There was some hope prices would settle down again in September but this has not happened – prices are still rising.
“It also means it is almost impossible to buy, because everyone who has stock is sitting on it hoping the price will go up even further.”
He continued: “The price rises are such that they will have to be passed on.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]