- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Alternative health on the rise across Europe
January 13, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
February 9, 2013
Health • 0 Comments
• Patients are increasingly looking for alternatives to conventional medicine
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
DEMAND for complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is increasing, according to a European-wide survey.
The popularity of the holistic approach to health is on the rise as more people seek alternatives to conventional treatment, claims research network CAMbrella.
The survey, carried out in nine countries, found nearly half of respondents used alternative healthcare.
It comes after the European Commission estimated that €100 million is spent on CAM each year.
In Europe, there are more than 180,000 registered and certified non-medical CAM practitioners and more than 150,000 registered medical doctors with additional certification.
However, Europe is seen as trailing behind other parts of the world in its understanding, with practitioners calling for a coordinated effort to enhance knowledge.
“CAM is not part of the medicine we teach in European universities, but it is nevertheless used by large numbers of patients across Europe,” said a CAMbrella spokesman this week.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]