- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Costa del Sol group continues fight against drilling with Fuengirola protest
• Campaigners will gather to protest against proposed gas drilling
CAMPAIGNERS are to stage a ‘human chain’ protest in Fuengirola tomorrow in an effort to stop gas drilling off the Costa del Sol.
The group, Citizens Against Oil Exploration on the Costa del Sol, will gather at 12pm on the promenade close to the Chiringuito La Caracola.
Concerns have grown about the effect oil exploration could have on the Costa del Sol’s tourism industry, the leading source of employment in the area.
“The main reason we are doing it is to raise awareness,” said campaigner Luis Sanchez Garcia.
“Many people have no idea about this, but if everyone gets together maybe we can make a change in the plan.
“We know it is still going to go ahead but I believe a citizens voice and opinion is always important.
“I would say that nearly everyone here on the coast is against this project, this is the Costa del Sol not the Costa del Gas!”
Local PSOE mayors have already teamed up with Greenpeace activists in publicising the risks of the drilling, fearing a disaster similar to that of the Prestige oil tanker spill in 2002.
There have already been two protests held in the neighbouring town of Mijas, with a boat trip organised to take residents to the proposed drilling spot next month.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…