- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze
• The Duchess of York was a friend of property magnate David Elias
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
AN investigation has been launched into a Costa del Sol house fire which killed a friend of the Duchess of York.
Property magnate David Elias is believed to have been overcome by noxious fumes caused by a candle setting fire to a rug in his Marbella home.
Elias, whose first wife Jenny is a former Tory party treasurer, had lived in Spain for 18 months having previously suffered huge financial losses in various failed ventures.
A neighbour raised the alarm after seeing smoke pouring from a window of the property, near the Marbella Club.
“He was alone, he had told his girlfriend not to come over because he wanted to sleep,” said a friend.
“There had been a power cut in his building and it seems the candles he had lit burnt down and set fire to some rugs.
“Apparently they gave off noxious fumes.”
Elias split up with his first wife in 1993 after running off with the wife of one of his best friends, who he also left a year after the couple married in 1998.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Take a look at the five most-read stories on the Olive Press website this week…