- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Restorers discover new Picasso piece hidden on cardboard
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
STAFF restoring one of Picasso’s oldest works have discovered an even earlier portrait hidden on its backing card.
Workers at Barcelona’s Picasso Museum removed the cardboard behind Portrait of the Artists Mother, printed by a 15-year-old Picasso, to find a charcoal drawing of a man with a pipe.
Head of restoration at the museum, Reyes Jimenez, believes the newly discovered charcoal to be older than the 1896 Portrait of the Artists Mother.
“If it were the other way round, he would have destroyed the pastel drawing at the time of producing it,” she said.
Jimenez also stated the piece highlights the artist’s use of difficult techniques from an early age.
“His level of knowledge was greater than we thought it was,” she added.
In 1970 Picasso donated 921 of his earliest works to the museum.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]