- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Sat navs lead drivers down Teruel steps
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
AT least five drivers have been left red-faced after hurtling down steps on a pedestrian-only street in eastern Spain.
The confused motorists ended up on the cobbled staircase in the Aragonese town of Teruel having followed erroneous instructions on their sat navs.
In the most recent incident an estate car had to be rescued by a crane after the driver blindly followed his GPS system down the narrow side street.
At least four other motorists have made the same mistake and found themselves in similar sticky situations.
Calle Hartzenbuch – named after a 19th century Spanish playwright – is little more than an alley with steps at the end and has never been open to motorised traffic.
“I can’t understand why someone would try to drive down there,” one resident said. “It’s obvious from the top of the street that it is a staircase.”
Teruel city council has said it will install bollards at the top of the staircase to deter motorists from attempting to drive down the street.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]
Most popular in the past week.
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Call girl describes British chancellor George Osborne as arrogant…