VICTIMS of the Franco regime are calling for a new initiative to ‘clear up the crimes of the Spanish Civil War’.
Over 40 separate associations which help those affected by Franco’s regime joined forces with human rights activists to introduce the Platform for a Truth Commission at a conference in Madrid.
Former High Court judge, Baltazar Garzon, who was suspended from judicial activity while investigating crimes committed under Franco’s dictatorship, is publically supporting the proposed initiative.
Garzon, who is about to testify before an Argentinean judge investigating Franco said the umbrella organization is needed to investigate ‘the crimes of the Francoist dictatorship, the suffering endured by those who were forcefully made to disappear, and the victims of assassinations, extrajudicial executions, summary trials, baby theft’.
“History and reason is on our side. The institutional omission is as clamorous as it is shameful,” added Garzon.
Julia Merino, 79, the daughter of a couple who were executed during Franco’s dictatorship said at the conference: “We’re dying. There are very few of us left. Our last hope lies in the truth commission.”
Cristina Almeida, a lawyer and longtime member of Spain’s Communist Party added at the conference:”In order to forget, as they ask us to, first we need to know.
“Everyone wants to turn the page of war, the page of dictatorship; but in order to turn a page, first you have to read it.”
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36