- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Spanish are not talking proper!
July 21, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
August 28, 2013
National News • 7 Comments
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SPAIN’S rich linguistic history is being lost as Spaniards are increasingly ignoring the words of great writers Cervantes and Lorca in favour of a simpler, more limited vocabulary.
Spanish has become ‘something of a street language’ believes the country’s leading linguist Victor Garcia de la Concha.
The boss of the respected Cervantes Institute believes it has become ‘fashionable to speak badly’ after analysing the nature and evolution of the current Spanish language.
He believes it is constantly changing and claims it has developed an ‘unusual’ energy and liveliness.
Speaking in Casares, he insisted that this energy is not always a positive thing and he blames the waning sophistication in Spanish speech on the ‘predominantly audio-visual’ culture.
“There is a great deal of neglect in the manner of speaking,” he said. “It is a rather shabby period.”
The Cervantes Institute is the world’s largest organization for the promotion of the study and teaching of Spanish language and culture.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]
Latest news from the Olive Press...
The Starlite Festival runs from July 23 - August 23 in Marbella…
Bloggers celebrate gypsy lifestyle following book launch…
Unauthorised demonstrators could be hit by fines of up to €600,000…