TARIFA’S councillor for Celebrations, Markets and Health, Ana Maria Garcia, has been forced to resign after running up a mobile telephone bill of €20,000 on premium SMS messages.
Pressure had been mounting on the councillor since the two bills first came to light in September.
A visibly upset Garcia told the press that she admitted spending around €2,000 on personal calls, but that she was in the process of contesting the remaining €18,000 through the courts.
“I am not guilty of any crime” she told reporters after being forced to step down. “But there are politicians who have done worse”
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01
- When it rains… - 28 Oct, 2018 @ 12:24
- Watch out, there’s a new 80s revival in town, but don’t except big hair and shoulder pads - 30 Sep, 2018 @ 12:10
- We’ve survived another mad Marbella summer - 15 Sep, 2018 @ 12:00
- TRIBUTE: Remembering Costa del Sol legendary singer Mel Williams - 2 Sep, 2018 @ 16:00
- AUGUST ANGST: Summer in southern Spain presents some interesting challenges - 4 Aug, 2018 @ 13:23
- TOUR DE FARCE: Last Monday was my final straw with the cyclists - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 11:10
- Football Crazy! - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 16:00
- Oh, Ambassador… you are spoiling us! - 10 Jun, 2018 @ 13:00