SPAIN’S top criminal court is to release nine jailed militants from the Eta Basque separatist group.
The decision follows a European court ruling which overturned Spain’s extension of Eta prisoners’sentences.
The group is considered by some to be a terrorist organisation.
A violent 40 year campaign by Eta resulted in more than 800 people being killed.
The group called a ceasefire in 2011.
The court’s decision was narrowly in favour of releasing nine prisoners and keeping two others behind bars. Nine judges were in favour and eight were against.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40