POPE FRANCIS was left bemused after a call he put in to a group of Cordoban nuns went to voicemail.
The pontif called the community of Carmelite nuns in Luccena at 11:45am on New Year’s eve to wish them happy new year.
But there was no reply at the convent, so he left them a message.
He said: “What are nuns doing that they can’t answer the phone?! I am Pope Francis, I wish to greet you in this end of the year, I will see if I can call you later. May God bless you!”
The once-thriving convent has dwindled to just five, three of which are Argentine like the pope.
He eventually managed to get a hold of them at 7:15 pm and convey his good wishes for the new year.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40