- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Dramatic drop in box office earnings
February 6, 2014
• LAST EDITED:
February 6, 2014
National News • 0 Comments
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
BOX OFFICE earnings in Spain fell by more than €100 million between 2012 and 2013.
In real terms, 80 million tickets were sold last year, some 14 million less than the previous year. The general feeling is the trend will likely continue in one direction only.
Commentators are blaming unemployment, an increase in piracy, and the increased tax on film stubs, a measure introduced by the government in 2012.
The surge, from 8% to 21%, slaps Spanish producers with a tax bill which is at least double the size of their counterparts in other European countries.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]