I’M clinging on for dear life to my new friend, a plastic polar bear, as I tentatively skate my way around Happy Days artificial ice rink, San Pedro boulevard’s most recent family-fun venue.
I may be the brunt of my colleagues jokes but the town’s modernity and resurgence are encapsulated by this innovative outdoor eco-friendly rink, mini-golf site and American diner.
Co-owner and former chef Pascal Van den Broek, who has cooked for Bill Clinton threw in the dish towel to serve up San Pedro’s residents a treat on Andalucia’s only artificial rink.
Since Happy Days opened in August, many Andalucians are being introduced to this green version of ice-skating.
“It would be impossible to have real ice in Marbella with the weather. This rink is very eco-friendly as it uses no energy,” explained Pascal.
Strapping on a pair of skates in the evening air, budding Torvils and Deans take to the surface to show off their pirouettes..
The slick surface is a an excellent approximation and the balmy Costa evenings mean you won’t need woolly mittens.
The high-tech rink was designed in Sevilla, and Pascal and Scottish business partner Sean Henry’s rinks is proving a hit with local youngsters.
“Around the weekends it’s fantastic,” said Pascal. “Kids birthday parties are really picking up. They can play mini golf and we have their favourite food – burgers.”
As befitting an owner who has cooked for the world’s most important man, the food at Happy Days is first-rate. The authentic airstream truck kitchen is the epitome of 60s retro cool. And burgers, hot dogs, buffalo wings and french fries are the perfect accompaniment to a night on the ice or swinging a putter.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00