THE Guardia Civil has caught a van driver in Tarifa transporting 14 unregistered Bluefin tuna.
Officers first became suspicious when they noticed a large amount of water gushing from the back door of the van as it left the port.
When they stopped the vehicle, they discovered the fish inside, with the driver having no proper documentation showing where they had been caught.
There are strict quotas and regulations on Bluefin tuna fishing on the Costa de la Luz, to avoid overfishing.
The 550 kg of tuna was deposited with the Campo de Gibraltar food bank, while the driver faces a court hearing.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44