A SMALL Spanish town has been criticised for alleged cruelty to animals after video footage surfaced showing young calves being taunted, stabbed and killed during its festival.
PACMA has denounced the practice, which sees un-trained matadors slaughtering young bulls.
The political group has released footage of Valmojado Toledo residents taking turns to spear a number of calves inside the town’s bullring.
The video has sparked such outrage that the town hall has been forced to remove both its Facebook and Twitter pages due to an avalanche of criticism.
The event – known as a becerrada – takes place every August where residents are pitted against calves aged between one and two years old.
Valmojado, southwest of Madrid, released a statement defending the spectacle, which it said is a legitimate part of the country’s bullfighting culture.
It also lambasted the insults and abuse it says it and its residents have received since animal rights group PACMA released the video online.
The video shows young people in a bull ring taunting calves with bull-fighting capes and sticking lances in their backs.
One is stabbed with a sword in matador fashion and another is finished off with a knife.
The town hall said it wished to “reiterate our absolute rejection of all types of animal mistreatment,” adding that it was seeking legal advice regarding the insults, which it said “tarnished the good name of Valmojado, its history and traditions.”
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15