BELIEVE it or not, cockroach milk could be the superfood of the future.
An international team of scientists have sequenced a protein crystal located in the midgut of the world’s most reviled bug that is four times as nutritious as cow’s milk.
Researchers believe it could prove vital in feeding the world’s growing population.
Unlike most cockroaches the Diploptera Punctate species, the only one to give birth to live young, pumps out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its offspring.
But scientists won’t be hooking up millions of mother cockroaches to milking machines. They plan to replicate the crystals in the lab.
“The crystals are like a complete food, they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids,” said Sanchari Banerjee, one of the team.
Another vital factor is that this dense source of calories and nutrients is time released.
As the protein in the milk is digested, the crystals release more protein at an equivalent rate, to continue the digestion.
“If you need food that is calorifically high, time released and complete, this is it,” said Subramanian Ramaswamy, who led the project.
It is hoped the superfood can help combat malnutrition in Third World countries and in times of food shortage.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15