THE trial of 37 former high-ranking officials and lawmakers from Spain’s Partido Popular has begun today.
Kickbacks, fake invoices and Swiss bank accounts are all features of the so-called Gurtel affair – which allegedly saw PP politicians across Spain receive bribes.
Spanish media have labelled it the ‘trial of the year’ as three former party treasurers are among the accused.
This includes Luis Barcenas, who is said to have stashed tens of millions away in Swiss bank accounts.
The PP itself has also been called to the stand for allegedly benefiting from illegally obtained funds.
It will not face criminal charges but may be forced to pay the money back.
Francisco Correa is accused of showering PP lawmakers and councillors with bribes between 1999 and 2005.
It is said his or his friends’ companies would in return be given contracts for public works or organising events.
This included the papal visit of Pope Benedict XVI in Valencia in 2006.
The trial has begun at Spain’s National Court in Madrid and is expected to last several months.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03