THE trial of 37 former high-ranking officials and lawmakers from Spain’s Partido Popular has begun today.
Kickbacks, fake invoices and Swiss bank accounts are all features of the so-called Gurtel affair – which allegedly saw PP politicians across Spain receive bribes.
Spanish media have labelled it the ‘trial of the year’ as three former party treasurers are among the accused.
This includes Luis Barcenas, who is said to have stashed tens of millions away in Swiss bank accounts.
The PP itself has also been called to the stand for allegedly benefiting from illegally obtained funds.
It will not face criminal charges but may be forced to pay the money back.
Francisco Correa is accused of showering PP lawmakers and councillors with bribes between 1999 and 2005.
It is said his or his friends’ companies would in return be given contracts for public works or organising events.
This included the papal visit of Pope Benedict XVI in Valencia in 2006.
The trial has begun at Spain’s National Court in Madrid and is expected to last several months.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33