THE trial of 37 former high-ranking officials and lawmakers from Spain’s Partido Popular has begun today.
Kickbacks, fake invoices and Swiss bank accounts are all features of the so-called Gurtel affair – which allegedly saw PP politicians across Spain receive bribes.
Spanish media have labelled it the ‘trial of the year’ as three former party treasurers are among the accused.
This includes Luis Barcenas, who is said to have stashed tens of millions away in Swiss bank accounts.
The PP itself has also been called to the stand for allegedly benefiting from illegally obtained funds.
It will not face criminal charges but may be forced to pay the money back.
Francisco Correa is accused of showering PP lawmakers and councillors with bribes between 1999 and 2005.
It is said his or his friends’ companies would in return be given contracts for public works or organising events.
This included the papal visit of Pope Benedict XVI in Valencia in 2006.
The trial has begun at Spain’s National Court in Madrid and is expected to last several months.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33