SPAIN and France have drafted a resolution calling for an immediate truce in the Syrian capital of Aleppo.
The resolution calls for an end to military flights over the city, where more than 250,000 people are besieged by Syrian forces.
The draft then threatens ‘further measures’ – diplomatic code for sanctions – for any party that breaks the truce.
“We consider that this is our responsibility to do absolutely everything we can do, everything humanly possible to unite the Security Council behind our efforts to end the martyrdom in Aleppo,” France’s UN Ambassador Francois Delattre said.
Russia, who supports the regime in Syria, has already shot down the draft, rejecting any grounding of aircraft and questioning the viability of a truce.
Support from Russia has seen Syrian forces encircle East Aleppo, where continued attacks have damaged medical facilities in violation of international law.
Russia’s UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the international community should be grateful for their involvement in Syria as the ISIS flags ‘could be flying over Damascus’ by now.
“The primary goal of Russia in that part of the world, in Syria and Iraq, is to throw out the terrorists,” said Churkin.
“As long as the terrorists are there, there will be no peace and quiet for the civilians, in eastern Aleppo or anywhere else.”
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33