SPAIN and France have drafted a resolution calling for an immediate truce in the Syrian capital of Aleppo.
The resolution calls for an end to military flights over the city, where more than 250,000 people are besieged by Syrian forces.
The draft then threatens ‘further measures’ – diplomatic code for sanctions – for any party that breaks the truce.
“We consider that this is our responsibility to do absolutely everything we can do, everything humanly possible to unite the Security Council behind our efforts to end the martyrdom in Aleppo,” France’s UN Ambassador Francois Delattre said.
Russia, who supports the regime in Syria, has already shot down the draft, rejecting any grounding of aircraft and questioning the viability of a truce.
Support from Russia has seen Syrian forces encircle East Aleppo, where continued attacks have damaged medical facilities in violation of international law.
Russia’s UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the international community should be grateful for their involvement in Syria as the ISIS flags ‘could be flying over Damascus’ by now.
“The primary goal of Russia in that part of the world, in Syria and Iraq, is to throw out the terrorists,” said Churkin.
“As long as the terrorists are there, there will be no peace and quiet for the civilians, in eastern Aleppo or anywhere else.”
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33