SPAIN and France have drafted a resolution calling for an immediate truce in the Syrian capital of Aleppo.
The resolution calls for an end to military flights over the city, where more than 250,000 people are besieged by Syrian forces.
The draft then threatens ‘further measures’ – diplomatic code for sanctions – for any party that breaks the truce.
“We consider that this is our responsibility to do absolutely everything we can do, everything humanly possible to unite the Security Council behind our efforts to end the martyrdom in Aleppo,” France’s UN Ambassador Francois Delattre said.
Russia, who supports the regime in Syria, has already shot down the draft, rejecting any grounding of aircraft and questioning the viability of a truce.
Support from Russia has seen Syrian forces encircle East Aleppo, where continued attacks have damaged medical facilities in violation of international law.
Russia’s UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the international community should be grateful for their involvement in Syria as the ISIS flags ‘could be flying over Damascus’ by now.
“The primary goal of Russia in that part of the world, in Syria and Iraq, is to throw out the terrorists,” said Churkin.
“As long as the terrorists are there, there will be no peace and quiet for the civilians, in eastern Aleppo or anywhere else.”
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37