THE PSOE in Torrox are demanding to know why some members of the police were paid almost €50,000 in bonuses over just two months.
This July and August saw €45,000 be paid in bonuses and overtime, leading socialist city spokesman Francisco Muñoz to accuse Partido Popular mayor, Oscar Medina, of ‘buying the silence of unions with financial rewards at the expense of torroxeños’ pockets’.
He said: “This money was used to gratify officials who already receive a good salary for their work.”
He added that it could have been better spent on hiring the unemployed within the municipality.
Deputy PP mayor and councillor for security Paola Moreno said: “The payments increase the guarantees of a response from qualified personnel, which results in a reduction of crime.”
She added that Torrox is safer now than it was four years ago, and blasted the PSOE for criticising the bonuses.
“The spending was for overtime performed during the holiday period and the reinforcements that were needed in a historically busy summer.”
- SLOW TRAVEL: Run down your rev count in Ronda where slow travel is the new mantra - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 09:59
- FILTHY RICH: How the other half live when on holiday in southern Spain, from Saudi Royalty to British prime ministers and American billionaires - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 08:50
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02