AN expat couple have been given 30 days to vacate their dream holiday home after the town hall sold it at auction without them knowing.
British pensioners Adrian and Margo Campbell have been ordered to hand their two-bed home over to their Spanish neighbour in Tozar, Granada, after she bought it at auction.
The €50,000 property was sold off after neighbour Adoracion Gonzales submitted a complaint about damp in her house, resulting from works carried out at the Campbell’s adjoining property.
It led to a Granada Court ruling that they had to pay Gonzales €43,000 in damages.
However, as they were back in the UK and did not know about the ruling, they were unable to defend themselves and did not know about the result.
The first time they heard about the auction was in June this year and after a failed appeal in Granada’s courts, they have no choice but to hand over the keys.
“It is an absolute travesty,” Glaswegian Adrian, 65, told the Olive Press. “We didn’t know about it until it was too late to do anything.
“It is so sad, we have so many memories here, bringing our kids here when they were young, we even spent Christmases and New Years here.”
The former IT technician added: “It is quite clear the courts did not try sufficiently hard to contact us when they knew it was a holiday home we rarely visited.
“But the court didn’t agree which is devastating.”
Despite now appealing to the High Court in Madrid, they are still being told to hand over the keys while they await a hearing.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36