The trio – all members of the far-left seperatist party Popular Unity Candidacy (CUP) – burned the photos last September during Catalonia’s regional holiday.
They have been supported by several Catalan politicians from the CUP who tore up photos of the current King Felipe VI during a press conference held following the arrests.
“We vindicate disobedience as a valid mechanism for the construction of the Catalan Republic […] we don´t have fear or a king,” said Mireia Vehí, a CUP member of the Catalan parliament, during the press conference in which she and five others tore pictures of Felipe VI to bits.
While the CUP makes up a small fraction of the Catalan Parliament, they have recently joined forces with a center-right separatist coalition in a bid to achieve independence for the region.
Spain is currently investigating important separatist politicians after they held a non-binding referendum on the issue in 2014.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03