The trio – all members of the far-left seperatist party Popular Unity Candidacy (CUP) – burned the photos last September during Catalonia’s regional holiday.
They have been supported by several Catalan politicians from the CUP who tore up photos of the current King Felipe VI during a press conference held following the arrests.
“We vindicate disobedience as a valid mechanism for the construction of the Catalan Republic […] we don´t have fear or a king,” said Mireia Vehí, a CUP member of the Catalan parliament, during the press conference in which she and five others tore pictures of Felipe VI to bits.
While the CUP makes up a small fraction of the Catalan Parliament, they have recently joined forces with a center-right separatist coalition in a bid to achieve independence for the region.
Spain is currently investigating important separatist politicians after they held a non-binding referendum on the issue in 2014.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40